Thursday 30 October 2008

3don't

I know that one of the key learning outcomes of this project is for the group to have made a digital environment
in 3D
in maya
BUT I just feel the need to make the point that digital environments do not need to be 3d or made in maya and that you can visualise animation on a computer in a number of ways that do not involve 3d software

OBSERVE


This is a clip from an old interactive game created by Alan Snow. The game was called Duck City, in this clip you get to see the hairdresser game. As a kid I used to love playing on this, there was one game on it in particular called RoboDuck, (which in fact did use some 3d animation in the cut–scene if I remember right) a platform game where your robot duck had to kill slugs by sucking them up and save your duck mates...

YAY ! if you can get your hands on a copy then check it out, iz niice. Also he made P.A.W.S. (personal automated wagging system), another interactive game where you control a robotic dog full of tiny little dog engineers and guide it around the garden, finding bones and barking at cats.

I've not found much about either of these games online though
qq

I've just quickly been trying to find some info on another old game by a beautiful illustrator called Thoru Yamamoto, he made one of my all time favourite ever pieces of interactive software, a game called Pickles Book.
and thank GOODNESS ! I've just found A LINK TO THE DEMO! It's a shame that my old copy of the CD rom won't work on new computers >UNSTABLE ENVIRONMENT< >URK< because there is literally so much to see and do and all kinds of ace animation and character design, anyone who has never explored that game is truly missing out.



The point I'm trying to make though is that these 2D interactive digital environments created by talented illustrators are fun and enjoyable as well as gorgeous. Mr. Yamamoto from the looks of things has started dabbing his hand at 3d modeling and personally I think it looks PUUUUUKE,

I really want to find a link to examples as well as wrap this post up nicely but I'm dying for a wee and I really gotta dash to college now so this is all for now and no mores till later on. Let me just make it clear that I'm not trying to suggest we get to make a 2D digital environment but, Jared, it's something I really badly think you should consider for future years on the course because just making it a Maya project is closing doors to potentially powerful creative constructions.
ppcc

G2GBRB ! !

No comments: